Round House East - Self-catering cottage in Cornwall
Pendower Road, Veryan, Truro, Cornwall
England, United Kingdom
Standing like sentries guarding the village pub and green below are two whitewashed 1820s roundhouses with thatched roofs and crosses – believed to keep the devil away. Ingenious how everything fits so neatly within the curving walls, from solid wood floors to fitted wardrobes, in this warm, quirky bolthole. Local art and retro touches – a tide clock, a 50s sideboard, bold beetroot upholstery – rub shoulders with a vast TV (in both sitting room and cosy upstairs bedroom). In the kitchen extension, past the lime green fridge, find a glass dining table and windows to the pretty cottage garden. Take a morning espresso out to your lounger and watch the seagulls swoop. When night falls, soak in the roll top bath, then retire to a super king-sized bed under a vaulted ceiling; Art Deco mirror, quirky lamps and pink-and-purple rug continue the fun retro theme. Bring bicycles, dogs, flip flops for the beach and walking boots for the South West Coast Path; the Roseland Peninsula is awash with secret coves and seaside restaurants. The boat to Truro is voted one of the world's most scenic ferry routes. No wonder guests book again and again.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from Ian Rose:
Local points of interest from
- The Fish & Chip van parks outside the Veryan village shop on Thursdays and Saturdays, ideal for huge pieces of delicious fresh fish to take home to the Round House or to Carne Beach for a picnic.
- Walk down from St Anthony Head to the beaches at Great Molunan or Little Molunan. Great views over the Fal Estuary and Carrick Roads and maybe have a swim.
- Freshly caught crab, hand-picked and ready to eat, scallops and whatever fish has come in with the boat, from Curgurrell Farm. Wonderful with Da Bara crusty bread and Camel Valley sparkling wine.
- Walk to Melinsey Mill via Pendower Beach, take tea and enjoy their home-made cakes, or some quiche with a glass of Betty Stogg's, brewed by Skinner's Brewery in Truro.
- The Country Market, Friday mornings at Veryan Village Hall, is full of wonderful jams, cakes, pickles, pies and crafts. Get in the queue early to avoid disappointment.