Broughton House - Bed & Breakfast in Cumbria
Field Broughton, Grange-over-Sands, LA11 6HN,
England, United Kingdom
Down lanes edged with dry stone walls and hedges, with distant views of the Lakeland mountains... what peace! You feel instantly at home too, in a house full of books and colour. Bedrooms come with a jar of Cate's homemade brownies, a bowl of fruit and a deep mattress: a brass bed in one, privacy in the wing, snug simplicity in Ben's Cabin. Wake to fresh juice, pancakes, homemade bread, local bacon and sausages, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Muffin the dog, Minty the cat, a host of hens and a large garden all add to the charm. Perfect for cycling, a hop from lake Windermere and eating out in pretty Cartmel is a treat.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
- Cartmel is two miles away, and it's easy to walk there - via Hampsfell, with stupendous views over Morecambe Bay, the Howgills and the Lakeland fells. The Hospice, on the summit, is a folly, with a stone compass on the roof and poetry on the walls inside
- Cartmel village has become something of a must visit destination for foodies. L'enclume, which the Good Food Guide deems to be the best restaurant in Britain, is there. You will also find an amazing cheese shop, a brewery, and Cartmel Sticky Toffee pud
- Broughton House is a ten minute drive from the foot of Windermere, where you can step aboard a steamer for a cruise to Bowness, and Ambleside. High Dam, a tarn in the woods above Lakeside, is a wonderful spot for wild swimming - especially by moonlight
- There are lots of interesting historic houses within a fifteen minute drive of Broughton House: Levens Hall, Sizergh Castle, Holker Hall, and Blackwell. Half an hour away is Brantwood, Hill Top, and Dove Cottage - home of William Wordsworth
- Every May, July, and August, Cartmel hosts race meetings, at one of the smallest and friendliest courses in the country. Its a great day out for all the family - take a picnic, sip champagne - or sample some great locally brewed beers - and back a winner!
- Cartmel Show is also worth a visit - this year it's on the 6th August. All the local farmers are out in force - and there's loads to see. Admire the pigs and the sheep, or visit the WI tent to see some proper baking. I love the poultry marquee too
Have you visited Broughton House?Tell us your thoughts.
- 2 Doubles
- 1 Cabin
29 November - 27 December.
Field Broughton, Grange-over-Sands, LA11 6HN, Cumbria