Swinside Lodge Hotel - Hotel in Cumbria
Newlands, Keswick, CA12 5UE,
England, United Kingdom
This small, intimate country house sits in silence at the foot of Cat Bells. Pheasants strut across the lawn, fells rise all around, Derwent Water, Queen of the Lakes, is a short stroll through the woods. Kath and Mike – the real stars of the show – came back from France to take up the reins of this ever-popular hotel and have given their home a lovely makeover: warm colours, new sash windows, smart bedrooms and fancy new bathrooms. Downstairs, you'll find fresh flowers and comfy sofas in the yellow drawing room, shelves of books and a jukebox in the sitting room, red walls and gilt-framed mirrors in the dining room, where windows frame views of Skiddaw. There's super food here, too, just what you want after a day on the fells, perhaps smoked salmon with a beetroot dressing, carrot and ginger soup, roast duck with a red wine jus, a warm apple sponge with a calvados syrup. Lovely bedrooms have a cool country elegance with crisp linen, golden throws and super comfy beds. Outside, a host of characters visit the garden: a woodpecker, red squirrels, roe deer. Wonderful.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Mike & Kathy Bilton:
- Swinside Lodge surrounded by open countryside and fells - walk and leave the car behind. Alternatively, leave the car at home, pick up a train to Penrith station, taxi down to the Lodge and forget the daily grind once you walk though our door.
- 5 minutes walk from edge of Lake Derwentwater where launch may be taken for trips around the lake or into Keswick
- 5 minute drive into Keswick, market day Thursday and Saturday. Take your pick cafes, galleries, outdoor shops, pubs - you name it it's there!
- Packed lunches available together with maps of local walks onto fells or around the lake - see our Walking Break all year round special break
- 28 varieties of birds within hotel grounds
- Take a break from walking numerous fells within local area and try a coastal walk - 30 minutes away
Have you visited Swinside Lodge Hotel?Tell us your thoughts.
- 5 Doubles
- 2 Twins
Special Offer: Weekend 3 Night Special Offer - Rediscover the Lake District with this offer until 6th December 2014 . AA 2 Rosette restaurant with AA Notable Wine List Award. Glorious fells around with Cat Bells, Lake Derwentwater and Keswick
Children over 12 welcome.
December & January.
Newlands, Keswick, CA12 5UE, Cumbria