Mappleton Manor - Self-catering house in Derbyshire
Mappleton, Ashbourne, DE6 2AB,
England, United Kingdom
Deliciously rural: views soar over the valley, night skies blaze with stars and you can saunter across the field to picnic by the river Dove. It was in this 1750s Georgian manor that George Eliot penned Adam Bede; now it's a delightful country getaway with pecking chickens, the odd sheep, and horses peeking over stable doors. The front wing is yours, with a sun terrace and garden fringed by roses, shrubs and veg. Inside, lovely to warm your toes by the log burner in a properly traditional, sash-windowed drawing room with exquisite fabrics, wingback chairs and horsey ornaments. High-ceilinged bedrooms are just as gracious: beds are top quality, bathrooms new, paintings bucolic, views supreme. Stylish black and cream kitchenware adds a retro touch to the family kitchen; a picnic hamper begs to be used. There is no noise bar country noises, no people bar Kim and her family in the east wing. Hugely friendly, she'll greet you with cream tea or G&T, and can do breakfasts with home-laid eggs. Find antiques, boutiques and good food in Ashbourne – and walks galore, whether a riverside stroll or the Derbyshire Peaks.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from
- Situated right by the River Dove
- Wonderful walks from the doorstep, to Dovedale and beyond
- Great village pub with good food, just a five minute stroll along the river
- An area rich in historic stately homes, with Chatsworth just 20 minutes drive away
- Just 10 minutes from Alton Towers
- Sleep in the room where George Eliot wrote Adam Bede
Have you visited Mappleton Manor?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 House for 6
Mappleton, Ashbourne, DE6 2AB, Derbyshire