Tom’s & Douglas’s Barns - Self-catering in Derbyshire
Orchard Farm, Parwich, Ashbourne,
England, United Kingdom
High above pretty Parwich, untouched by traffic, are two freshly restored barns. Inviting is the approach, delightful is the welcome: John and Marion know how to look after guests. Enter Tom's Barn through an old stable door... beams, rafters, quarry tiles and a large Indian-style rug, cream walls, pine shutters, pale olive sofa, vibrant art and a wood-burner; up open-tread stairs is your galleried bedroom above, and a luxurious two-person spa bath. Douglas's Barn is more contemporary, but still with that lovely country feel. There's a kitchen with olive wooden units, a stainless steel fridge, a top-of-the-range cooker, a white dining table with perspex chairs and a spiral iron staircase to bed – king-size with a quilted throw in a room lined with African art. Sweet cottagey gardens have barbecues and stunning views over the village and beyond. As for walks, you're spoiled for choice, and the best pub in Derbyshire is an hour's stride away. Return to the homely luxuries of boot rack, boot warmer and delicious homemade cake. A further treat: the neighbour is a caterer and can sometimes cook for you.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from
John & Marion Fuller-Sessions:
- Warm, welcoming, peaceful and above all, romantic. We (John and Marion) live next door so are on the spot to welcome you when you arrive, there to help when needed but discreetly out of the way the rest of the time.
- Tom's Barn is dog-friendly although you would not suspect it if you didn't know! We're told that lovely holiday cottages that also accept dogs are apparently quite rare. Both cottages are squeaky clean, 5 Star Gold standard.
- Wonderful walks from the door in every direction. You'll find masses of walk books and maps in your barn, if you need inspiration. Your problem may be deciding which walk to choose...
- We are so lucky in our Idyllic rural setting - facing south, on the edge of a lovely White Peak village complete with nearby pub and shop, but next to open countryside
- Free Wi-fi and in each barn an iPad for your own use, with weblinks added already to useful local websites. You'll find Sky TV in Douglas's Barn, FreeSat in Tom's. Mobile reception is improving but not yet brilliant. There is a telephone in each barn.
- So quiet and peaceful, yet within easy access of Chatsworth, Haddon, Tissington and Dovedale, great book shops, Farmers' Markets, farm shops and delis and exceptional pubs and restaurants.
Have you visited Tom’s & Douglas’s Barns?Tell us your thoughts.
- 2 Barns for 2
Minimum stay: 4 nights on weekdays. 3 nights at weekends. 7 nights in high season. Short breaks available. Pets by arrangement.
Orchard Farm, Parwich, Ashbourne, Derbyshire