The Lazy Toad Inn - Pub in Devon
Brampford Speke, Exeter, EX5 5DP, Devon
England, United Kingdom
Welcome to the rural idyll – a pretty village lost in fine country with a lovely inn that stands in the shadow of the church tower. Outside, you find a colourful courtyard for lunch in the sun. Inside, you get a beautiful fusion of old world and new. This isn’t one of those places that sold its soul to an interior designer. On the contrary, its smart, homespun feel hits the spot perfectly: low ceilings, cool colours, painted settles and Elvis Presley framed on a wall. A fire smoulders in the bar, where you can grab a pint of Otter or try the local cider. Tables and chairs are scattered about, so grab one and order some seriously good food, perhaps caramelised onion soup, grilled sea bass with basil pesto, dark chocolate mousse with honeycomb and raspberry sorbet. Bedrooms have a warm country feel: pretty fabrics, comfy beds, crisp linen, iPod docks. Outside, there’s a tiny back garden, then a polytunnel in a field beyond that serves the kitchen. A river passes beyond the church – perfect for wild swimming. You’re only five miles from Exeter, but you’ll think you’re in the middle of nowhere. A gem.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from Harriet & Mike Daly:
Local points of interest from
Harriet & Mike Daly:
- Fabulous alfresco dining in our stylish renovated courtyard where you can enjoy a sharing platter, lazy lunch, afternoon tea or a romantic dinner in the summer!
- Set in a glorious Devon village of thatched cottages, a village church and rolling farmland. The pub is at the very heart of the village. The Exe River is a short walk away.
- Good seasonal food is made from scratch using local suppliers served with local well kept ales and a selection of wines from Devon and around the world. We have a cosy wood burning stove in winter and a pretty garden and cobbled courtyard for the summer.
- The Cathedral city of Exeter is a 10 minute drive away. We can be found off the A377 to Crediton or the A386 to Tiverton.
- Beautiful walks from the pub along the Exe Valley Way and the Hartland Way.
The Lazy Toad Inn is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink