The Lion Inn - Inn in Gloucestershire
Winchcombe, Cheltenham, GL54 5PS, Gloucestershire
England, United Kingdom
The determination to restore this old inn's charms has been a joyous success. Push open the heavy oak door to reveal a beautiful main bar: rugs on pale-painted floors, candles at mullioned windows, rough stone walls, and a log fire crackling in a 15th-century inglenook. Jugs of fresh flowers, battered leather armchairs and grand gilt-framed paintings enhance the authentic feel. Review the papers over a pint of real ale, play scrabble, cards or one of the selection of games. Order from the seasonal menu: perhaps line-caught sea trout, French ratatouille, potato skins and lemon and caper sauce, followed by rum chocolate fondant, vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. Country-chic rooms upstairs – one with its own small balcony, three with private staircases, one above the noisy snug bar – are toasty-warm and TV-free, with inviting beds and soothing colours, upholstered armchairs and antique furniture. Bathrooms are just as good, with Bramley products and en-suite showers. Winchcombe is on the Cotswold Way; Chipping Campden, Broadway and Cheltenham are a short drive.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from The Manager:
Local points of interest from
- The Lion Inn is ideally located in the centre of Winchcombe, a wonderfully unspoilt town in one of the most stunning areas of the Cotswolds.
- Ideally placed to visit Cheltenham which hosts fabulous festivals throughout the year such as Literature, Music, Jazz, Food, Science and of course the world famous race meets.
- Our town is full of antiques centres, award-winning delicatessens, acclaimed restaurants and, on the outskirts, one of the most romantic country houses in England – Sudeley Castle!
- At The Lion Inn we have a selection of our favourite, local, circular walks that we can provide for your stay. These range from 1 hour short walks to 5-6 hour romps through the Cotswold countryside.
- One of the UK's Best Pubs with Rooms in the 2013/14 edition of Alastair Sawday's Special Places: Pubs and Inns of England and Wales.
- We can arrange clay pigeon shooting, horse riding, fishing, rides on the steam train, visits to Prescott Speed Hill Climb (on certain dates) and tickets for the shows in Cheltenham.
The Lion Inn is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink
- 6 Doubles
- , 2 Suites for 3
Extra bed/sofabed available £25 per person per night.
Special Offer: Enjoy complimentary Mercier Champagne - Quote “Epicurean Champagne Stays” when you book directly with us from Sunday to Thursday & arrive to enjoy a complimentary half bottle of Mercier Champagne. For the full T&Cs, visit epicureantimes.com
North Street Winchcombe, Cheltenham, GL54 5PS, Gloucestershire