Millstone Hotel - Hotel in Lancashire
Mellor, BB2 7JR Blackburn, Lancashire
England, United Kingdom
Modern meets traditional – in a handsome 18th-century coaching inn in a pretty village on the edge of the Ribble valley. There's a welcoming glow in the bar, with its oak beams and panelling, richly patina'd furniture, grandfather clocks and smart carpeting. Get cosy by the roaring fire with a pint of local Thwaites Bitter and a crispy duck spring roll. Or eat in the stylish new dining room with warm wood-panelled walls. Local ingredients are carefully sourced – poultry from Goosnargh, lamb from Pendle, shrimps from Morecambe Bay. The food is wholesome and unpretentious – including a chutney that bursts with fruit from Balderstone, served with Eccles cake and crumbly cheese. Then there's Ribblesdale goats cheese and avocado salad, a nibbles board piled high with chipolata and clack pudding fritters, Wainwright ales suet pudding with mushy peas, or roast venison haunch with chestnuts, horseradish dumplings and mash.Bedrooms ooze comfort: sumptuous fabrics and luxurious linen, Roberts radios and plasma TVs, high-spec bathrooms, padded coat hangers, umbrellas for wet days. No wonder it's popular.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from Alan Holliday:
Local points of interest from
- Our very own Daniel Thwaites is buried in the graveyard next to our inn, keeping his eye on our beer cellar.
- We are located on the edge of the Ribble Valley Food Trail which is home to some of the North West’s best food and drink and most inspirational chefs, our very own Anson included!
- Mellors idyllic setting in rural Lancashire makes it a walker’s paradise. From short strolls to strenuous hikes, there is plenty to explore.
- There is plenty of shopping to be done with many market towns such as Clitheroe and Ribchester in the near vicinity. For those who prefer the high-street, Preston and Blackburn are not far away.
- There are many heritage sites nearby, with Clitheroe Castle being one of the most popular. Enjoy 16 acres of attractions including a Castle Keep, a Labyrinth Skate Park, and Children’s Playground.
- Discover the picturesque village of Ribchester which lies at the site of a Roman Fort. The ancient site is steeped in history and has a dedicated Roman Museum.
Millstone Hotel is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink