The Queens Arms - Inn in Somerset
Corton Denham, Sherborne, DT9 4LR,
England, United Kingdom
This cool little Georgian inn has much to satisfy your pleasure receptors – a roaring fire in the airy bar, a stone terrace for lunch in the sun, a chic country style running throughout and a clutch of nicely priced bedrooms. It's adored by locals, who pop in and out, making it a sort of communal sitting room for the village. As for Gordon and Jeanette, they didn't just buy the inn, they also bought a farm down the hill, and now they rear their own pork and beef, while 200 free-range hens provide eggs for the kitchen. Stylish bedrooms, all recently refurbished, have warm colours, smart fabrics, white linen on comfy beds and some rather fancy bathrooms; one room has a four poster, another a freestanding bath. Local ales, world wines and champagne by the glass wait in the bar. There's lovely food, too, which you eat in a chic, colourful restaurant, perhaps Lyme Bay scallops, lamb from local fields, gooseberry tart with ginger sorbet; in summer you decant onto the terrace, where views to one side stretch over open country. You can walk from the front door, Sherborne is close, dogs are welcome.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Gordon & Jeanette Reid:
- Corton Denham sits just three miles from the medieval market town of Sherborne, nestled in the dramatic hills that form the border between Dorset and Somerset.
- Sherborne Abbey is the centrepiece of the town with a lofty nave formed from one of the finest examples of fan vaulting in Europe.
- The town's history left its impression with two castles: the romantic ruins of the old castle, destroyed during the civil war and the New Castle perched on the edge of a scenic lake and beautiful deer park.
- The Macmillan and Monarch way are close by and can offer long distance walks, an afternoon walk to and from the Queens Arms would be to Cadbury Castle, the home of King Arthur.
- National Trust properties close by include Stourhead and King Alfred Tower, Lytes Cary, Tintinhull House, Forde Abbey, Montacute House and East Lambrooke Manor Gardens, all within a 20 min drive.
- The jurassic coastline from Lyme Regis to West Bay is a 40 minute drive away, well worth the visit when staying at The Queens Arms.
Have you visited The Queens Arms?Tell us your thoughts.
- 5 Doubles
- 2 Twin/doubles
- 1 Four-poster
Dogs welcome in ground-floor bedroom.
Corton Denham, Sherborne, DT9 4LR, Somerset
The Queens Arms is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink