The Queens Arms - Inn in Somerset
Corton Denham, Sherborne, DT9 4LR,
England, United Kingdom
Stride across rolling fields, feast on Corton Denham lamb, retire to a perfect room. Buried down several Dorset/Somerset borders lanes, Gordon and Jeanette Reid's 18th-century stone pub has an elegant exterior – more country gentleman's house than pub. The bar, with its rug-strewn flagstones and bare boards, pew benches, deep sofas and crackling fire, is most charming. In the light, bright dining room that doubles up as a cinema on week nights, and on the terrace in summer, robust British dishes are distinguished by fresh ingredients from local suppliers. Try pheasant, pigeon and black pudding terrine, follow with monkfish with chive velouté, make room for a comforting crumble. Bedrooms are beautifully designed in soothing colours, and all have lovely views over the village and surrounding hills. New coach house rooms are super, too: underfloor heating, down duvets, brass and sleigh beds, iPod docks and immaculate wet rooms. Expect Moor Queen's Revival on tap, homemade pork pies on the bar, Gloucester Old Spot bacon at breakfast (from 8am daily), and stunning walks from the door.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Gordon & Jeanette Reid:
- Corton Denham sits just three miles from the medieval market town of Sherborne, nestled in the dramatic hills that form the border between Dorset and Somerset.
- Sherborne Abbey is the centrepiece of the town with a lofty nave formed from one of the finest examples of fan vaulting in Europe.
- The town's history left its impression with two castles: the romantic ruins of the old castle, destroyed during the civil war and the New Castle perched on the edge of a scenic lake and beautiful deer park.
- The Macmillan and Monarch way are close by and can offer long distance walks, an afternoon walk to and from the Queens Arms would be to Cadbury Castle, the home of King Arthur.
- National Trust properties close by include Stourhead and King Alfred Tower, Lytes Cary, Tintinhull House, Forde Abbey, Montacute House and East Lambrooke Manor Gardens, all within a 20 min drive.
- The jurassic coastline from Lyme Regis to West Bay is a 40 minute drive away, well worth the visit when staying at The Queens Arms.
Have you visited The Queens Arms?Tell us your thoughts.
- 5 Doubles
- 2 Twin/doubles
- 1 Four-poster
Dogs welcome in ground-floor bedroom.
Corton Denham, Sherborne, DT9 4LR, Somerset
The Queens Arms is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink