The Anchor - Inn in Suffolk
Main Street, Walberswick, Southwold, IP18 6UA,
England, United Kingdom
The Anchor is one of those wonderful places that has resisted the urge to be precious. This is a cool little seaside inn where relaxed informality reigns; kids are welcome, staff are lovely, dogs fall asleep in the bar. You're 500 yards from the sea with a vast sky hovering above and waves breaking in the distance. Outside, a big terrace fills with happy locals in summer, while a lawned garden stretches off towards the water. Inside, a beautiful simplicity abounds – Cape Cod meets English country local. You'll find books everywhere, wonderful art, roaring fires, scrubbed pine tables, old leather benches and painted tongue-and-groove. Sophie's local food is the big draw, perhaps fish soup with rouille and baguette, roast cod with lentils and chorizo, then a warm chocolate fondant. Bedrooms are great value and those in the house have a warm, homely feel. The garden chalet suites are different altogether – big and airy with sofas inside, and terraces that overlook nearby dunes and beach huts. Mark's bottled beers are exceptional, as is his lovely wine list. Starry skies amaze. Unmissable.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from Mark & Sophie Dorber:
Local points of interest from
Mark & Sophie Dorber:
- 10% discount to Sawday’s readers.
The Anchor is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink