The Bell Inn - Inn in Suffolk
Ferry Road, Walberswick, Southwold, IP18 6TN,
England, United Kingdom
The road ends at this tiny summer-soft, winter-bleak fishing village. Swim, sail, walk the beach to Dunwich or seek refuge in the Bell, a 600-year-old inn by the green, unspoilt with old beams and flagstones, curved wooden settles and crackling log fires. Time has also given it a few nooks and crannies in which to hide with a pint of Adnams Broadside. Since he arrived in 2010, Nick Atfield has poured energy and delight into revitalising this seaside gem. The menu mixes hearty bar food with imaginative modern dishes, making good use of local pork and lamb and daily deliveries of Lowestoft fish; on the menu you may find cider-braised sausages, confit duck leg, Cromer crab salad, and walnut brownies. Small, yet charming bedrooms have been refurbished with a classic seaside feel, all full of comfort and some with blissful river Blyth views. Outside, soak up the sun in the big garden and gaze on beach huts, dunes and sea. An absolute treat for families, dogs and East Anglian architecture buffs.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.