The Gallivant - Hotel in Sussex
New Lydd Road, Camber, Rye, TN31 7RB,
England, United Kingdom
This cute seaside restaurant with rooms stands across the road from Camber Sands, its five miles of pristine beach the best in the south. Kite surfers, beach cricketers and sun worshipers all gather and at low tide vast tracts of land appear, making it a great place to walk. As for the Gallivant, it's a quirky little pad, a boutique motel with fantastic food. The restaurant, recently refurbished, has a cool New England feel with seaside colours, comfy sofas and a wood-burner that burns on both sides. Uncluttered bedrooms – some big, some small – have lots of style: the best linen, Hypnos beds, driftwood furniture. Two in the main house open onto private terraces, four outside are perfect for families, all have good bathrooms, digital radios and flat-screen TVs (and a DVD library), But it's the food that takes the biscuit, much sourced within 30 miles: porridge for breakfast, fish soup for lunch, afternoon tea 'on the house', then a good dinner, perhaps Rye Bay scallops, salt marsh lamb, caramelised banana with toffee sauce. Visiting chefs – Tom Aikens, Mitch Tonks – come up to cook, too.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
- Camber sands - 5 miles of pristine sand sitting behind one of the few protected dune systems in the UK. The beach is huge, clean and magnificent - summer and winter, the dunes the ideal spot for a picnic. 3 minutes walk from the hotel.
- Dungeness - An extraordinary shingle wilderness that sits on the most southerly point of the south east coast. Scattered with ramshackle cottages and boats it feels left behind by the modern world. Famous for it’s population of artists and writers.
- Rye - One of the ancient Cinque Ports, Rye is remarkably untouched with its cobbled streets, lined with Medieval and Georgian architecture and collection of independent traders, boutiques and 20+ antique stores and galleries.
- Great Dixter House and Gardens - Once the family home to the great gardening writer Christopher Lloyd this historic house, gardens and centre of education is now a place of pilgrimage for horticulturists from across the world.
- Battle of Hastings, Abbey and battlefield - The site of probably the most famous and decisive battle in English history, 1066 Battle of Hastings where William the Duke of Normandy defeated King Harold of England marking the end of Anglo-Saxon England.
- Port Lympne Wildlife Park - Set in 600 acres and housing over 650 rare and endangered animals, Port Lympne is famous of its Gorillas and has one of the largest captive collections in the world. The perfect place to spend the day with the whole family.
Have you visited The Gallivant?Tell us your thoughts.
- 20 Doubles
Minimum two nights at weekends.
New Lydd Road, Camber, Rye, TN31 7RB, Sussex