Tyas Cottage - Self-catering double in Yorkshire
Merrydale, Slaithwaite, Huddersfield,
England, United Kingdom
Not easy to find, but what a discovery, an old weaver's cottage in the northern Pennines, gorgeously restored. Old mills, drystone walls, sheep-dotted hills, Halifax, Piece Hall, the Sculpture Park, the Brontë Museum: the dramatic landscape of the Industrial Revolution deserves to be better known. Victoria and John live close by and settle you in beautifully (they may even walk your dog!).The huge queen truss in the living room comes from a nearby mill and the carved chimney lintel is original; add heated flagged floors, Cape Dutch antiques, Chilean rushback chairs and bags of style. The large open-plan kitchen has every mod con and a corner sofa-seat; up the spiral stair is the living room. A glorious Georgian four-poster dominates the master bedroom with wooded valley views; the twin is next door and the third bedroom on the ground floor. Bathrooms are stocked with towels, and hot water is generated from solar panels. You have your own enclosed stepped garden; the gardens beyond, bounded by a pond and stream, are astonishing. Herons, kingfishers, owls abound – and from the tap comes fresh spring water for tea.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from
- Artisan bread making courses in nearest village (see my website).
- The Lowry Centre and Daniel Liebeskind's new Imperial War Museum, both within an hour.
- Near The National Trusts's Marsden Moor Estate.
- Visit The National Film & Photography Museum in Bradford and Eureka Children's Museum in Halifax.
- Near Titanic Spa (<2 miles).
- The site of the first water-powered mill in Colne Valley, on the old pack-horse route.
Have you visited Tyas Cottage?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Double
Merrydale, Slaithwaite, Huddersfield, Yorkshire