Doune - Hotel in Highland
Knoydart, Mallaig, PH41 4PL,
Scotland, United Kingdom
You arrive by boat – there's no road in – a ferry across to Knoydart, the last great wilderness in Britain. You'll find mountains, sea and beach – a thrilling landscape of boundless peace and ever-changing light. Guillemots race across the water, dolphins and seals come to play, the Sound of Sleat shoots across to Skye. As for Doune, it's a tiny community of happily shipwrecked souls, who rescued this land from ruin; Martin, Jane and Liz look after you with instinctive generosity. The dining room is the hub, pine-clad from top to toe, with a stove to keep you warm and a couple of fiddles for the odd ceilidh. The food is delicious – crab from the bay, roast lamb from the hill, chocolate tart with homemade ice-cream. Bedrooms along the veranda are delightfully simple – pine clad with mezzanine bunks for children, hooks for clothes, armchairs for watching the weather; compact shower rooms sparkle. The walking is magnificent, boat trips can be arranged, the night sky will astound you. There's a lodge for groups, too. A very special place, miss it at your peril.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from Martin & Jane Davies:
Local points of interest from
Martin & Jane Davies:
- Boat pick-up on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
- Boat tips and drop-offs for remote walks
- Island Hopping Weeks
- Photography Weeks
- 2 Doubles
- , 1 Twin
- , 1 Single
Minimum three nights. 15% off weekly stays.
Knoydart, Mallaig, PH41 4PL, Highland