Mungo's Den - Self-catering cottage in Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
Scotland, United Kingdom
A former post office, Mungo's Den now shines brightly in its blue exterior. Everything was rebuilt with the environment in mind: materials were reclaimed, and the glorious mix of furniture was recycled or, in the case of the spiral staircase, rescued from a garden and lovingly repaired. Your welcome hamper is locally sourced, and the sheets are organic cotton. In the living room there are warmed tile floors, a log burner, a comfy sofa and a dining table for four. Vintage fabrics and a Bakelite phone add quirk, while the flat screen TV and iPod dock bring it all into the 21st century. The kitchen continues the recycled theme with a mix of crockery and Victorian cupboard doors; the new bathroom has a roll top bath and underfloor heating. Downstairs, the bunk room is a riot of colour, with jolly cushions and Cath Kidston linen, while the mezzanine has a super king-sized bed, more gorgeous fabrics and a velux window that lets you watch the sun set. Wonderful Skye has much to offer – long, quiet beaches and walks from the door, heaps of wildlife to spot – and this fun and fabulous bolthole to return to.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from John Middleton:
Local points of interest from
- The Cuillin Mountain range very close by.
- Talisker Whiskey Distillery only 3 miles away.
- Beach, forest & cliff walks with an abundance of wildlife & scenery.
- Acitivities include: boat trips, diving, canoeing, cycle hire & horse riding.
- Organic hamper on arrival & fresh local produce available.
- Complimentary handmade soaps & eco cleaning products.