The Piggery - Self-catering cottage in Monmouthshire
Upper Meend Farm, Lydart, Monmouth
Wales, United Kingdom
A neat-as-a-pin refurbishment of an 18th-century Welsh farmhouse bang in the middle of a proper working farm. You're surrounded by a sweet garden (mostly edible) and sheep, cows, chickens, the most beautiful pigs and inspiring views. If you're keen you can join farmer Tim for a morning and learn the ropes. Or try your hand at bee keeping, orchard planting, smallholding or foraging. This is Wordsworth and Turner country, with delicious landscapes accessible by foot, canoe, car or bike. Return to a perfect home-from-home with slate floors, jolly rugs, good art, a roaring wood-burner (logs on the house), comfy vintage chairs and sofa, books, games, and a cook's dream of a blue-panelled kitchen where local cook Katherine Marland can come and give you a private lesson – but lazy bones can order tasty home-cooked food to be delivered. Sleep peacefully: pristine bedrooms have soft Welsh blankets and thick blinds at the windows with a bit of a hare theme going on; wallow in a deep bath – solace for walk-weary limbs. In summer spill out to the garden for perfect barbecues and long convivial evenings watching the sun slither down.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from Ludo Graham:
Local points of interest from
- Meet the rare breed animals on the smallholding trail. Kids will love the farmyard activities and natural timber climbing frame with zip wire (free entry for guests). Browse local produce and gifts in the farm shop or have a delicious lunch in the cafe.
- Discover the historic ruins of Tintern Abbey and Raglan Castle. Explore the beautiful ancient woodland, fantastic sculpture trail and playground at Beechenhurst, Forest of Dean.
- Learn about Welsh mining history at Blaenavon World Heritage Site.
- Many fantastic restaurants close by, including The Walnut Tree in Abergavenny and The Inn at Penallt.
- Ideal for visiting Abergavenny food festival or the renowned Hay-on-Wye literary festival.
- Book courses in advance. 10% discount for Piggery guests.
- 1 Cottage for 4
Short breaks available £100-£130 a night. Minimum 3-5 nights.
Upper Meend Farm, Lydart, Monmouth, Monmouthshire