La Candelaria - Bed & Breakfast in Essonne
31 rue de Paris, 91370 Verrières le Buisson,
Région Parisienne, France
These exceptional people – an Argentine artist, an eccentric English photographer, their four excellent children – will open their unconventional arms and carry you into their wide-ranging interests: art and history, travel and ancestors. They found a near-ruin and turned it into an elegant, airy family house full of paintings, books and curiosities. Up its own steep stair, your gentle third-floor room is big, beamy, slathered in little ancestral portraits and graced by a great tin bath before the dormer window – try it. The shower room is up two high steps through a very low door. Wonderful, if not for the halt and lame!
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Hugh & Celina Arnold:
- Just 20 minutes by train from central Paris - our favourites there are the Rodin Museum, the catacombs and the Louvre - while the famous flea market of St Ouen is within easy reach at the weekend.
- The Verrières golf course is opposite the house: play a round or just practise your drives.
- Walk in peace for miles in the vast Forest of Verrières without seeing a soul and, perched up high, admire the views over the the surrounding countryside. Walk or bicycle along the stunning protected Bièvre valley, another slice of paradise.
- Royal memories are legion here: the Toile de Jouy manufacturing museum, which supplied Marie-Antoinette with fabrics, is 8km away; Versailles is 12km (don't miss the King's potager); further south are the stunning Château and water gardens of Courances.
- The ceramics museum at Sèvres is a treasure-house of amazing concoctions in porcelain and paint.
- The Château de Sceaux, 6km away, houses the local history museum and its superb French-style park is a favourite destination for families and exercise fanatics. You can fish in the canals and ponds, too.
Have you visited La Candelaria?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Double
31 rue de Paris, 91370 Verrières le Buisson, Essonne