La Grande Maison d'Arthenay - Bed & Breakfast in Loire-Atlantique
Rue de la Cerisaie, Arthenay, 49700 Saumur - Le Puy Notre Dame,
Western Loire, France
Micaela was in the hotel trade, Sue worked at a Sussex winery, now they run an idyllic B&B on a former Saumur wine estate. The tours of their cellars and of the region are unmissable. The house dates from 1706, the potager is organic, and the outbuildings create a delicious hollyhock'd garden off which two rustic-chic bedrooms lie. The two in the house are equally lovely, one with an extra bed on the mezzanine: tuffeau walls, deep mattresses, soft beautiful colours. Start the day with a convivial breakfast (fresh figs, eggs from their hens), end it with a twice-weekly wine-tasting dinner at the big table.
On a Wine Adventure tour, you will get the chance to try one of the Loire's most cherished reds. Grown on limestone hills above Saumur, it is a generous fruity wine that is served slightly chilled in almost every Parisian bistro. The wines from the best years will mature for decades – all available from their cellars.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Micaela Frow & Sue Hunt:
- We focus on quality of service to our guests with a hint of luxury and are now in our 11th year of delivering our Loire Wine Tours.
- At La Grande Maison stay right in the heart of the vineyards. Come home after touring all day and put your feet up whilst we serve you tea or coffee with biscuits in the gardens.
- Our tours mainly focus on organic, biodynamic and natural wineries and we like to cover a broad range of winery types from the small family producers to some of the larger sparkling wine houses for which the Saumur area is famous.
- Take a stroll through the vineyards for dinner in nearby village of Le Puy Notre Dame during the summer months and explore the local village with it's collegiale church on the route of Santiago de Compestella
- Visit the Chateau of Saumur and see the views of the Loire River as it weaves it's way through the limestone valley.
Have you visited La Grande Maison d'Arthenay?Tell us your thoughts.
- 3 Twin/doubles
- 1 Suite for 4
Children over 16 welcome.
Rue de la Cerisaie, Arthenay, 49700 Saumur - Le Puy Notre Dame, Loire-Atlantique