Clone House - Bed & Breakfast in Co. Wicklow
One of our favourites. In the 'Garden of Ireland' this house has its own epic history – burnt down in the rebellion of 1798, rebuilt in 1805, rescued in the 1990s and transformed by its new owners. Georgian features have been coaxed back to life and sit happily with bold pieces of modern art. Here provenance is key, from the curtains to the pottery, to the long and lazy breakfasts; all are locally sourced. As you might expect, Liam and Aine are Irish speakers, great company and full of passion for this place. Rooms are hugely comforting, with simply painted walls, stripped floorboards and open fires. Dinner can be eaten convivially around one table, or at your own with long views over the grounds; waterfalls, ponds and a well-tended vegetable garden sit beyond. The craic will continue into the music room, where a pianist may feel like a flutter; in the snug insulated by shelves of books, a writing desk awaits reflective souls. Discover the Wicklow mountains and retire to bedrooms with enormous beds and crisp bathrooms tucked behind hidden doors; two more are receiving the same gentle renovation. A true labour of love.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Have you visited Clone House?Tell us your thoughts.
- 4 Doubles
Aughrim, Co. Wicklow