Ballymote House - Bed & Breakfast in Co. Down
Killough Road, Downpatrick, BT30 8BJ,
Ulster, United Kingdom
You may feel you have entered a whirlwind: let yourself be swept up by this vibrant young family. Nicola runs the place with gusto and seemingly boundless energy, poaching nectarines for breakfast one moment, conversing with great erudition the next, then out to feed the horses, dogs in tow. They look after their guests beautifully. A genuine no-frills, intelligent and organised family. Neither grand nor lowly, Ballymote stands in an undisturbed pocket of historic monuments, deserted beaches and rolling countryside. A short drive or bike ride leads to the dolmens, castles, healing wells and 10th-century churches; Belfast is less than an hour's drive. One of the area's first unfortified houses, this place has wonderful charm, its graceful 1730s Georgian looks framed by a fine park laid out by plantsman George Carter. The sight of mature ash and sycamore lifts any morning. The house has natural style, hugely comfortable, easy country-house bedrooms, a turf fire in the dining room and there's an odd Landseer glass sculpture of two polar bears. Killough village is near, walks in the Mourne Mountains are stupendous.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Please let the owner know if you want to bring pets.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Have you visited Ballymote House?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Double
- 1 Single
- 1 Twin/double
Children under 2 & over 7 welcome. Pets by arrangement; horses included!
Christmas & New Year.
Killough Road, Downpatrick, BT30 8BJ, Co. Down