The Mistley Thorn
High Street, Mistley, Manningtree, CO11 1HE,
England, United Kingdom
In Constable land: a perfect coastal village where Georgian cottages gather around a river estuary with wide, light views of water, bobbing boats and green hills beyond. David and Sherri (who have a cookery school next door) run the place beautifully: staff are young, and good, there are plenty of locals tossed into the mix and some impeccably behaved children. The mood is laid-back city wine bar rather than roadside country pub. Colours are soft and easy, the tables are of various shapes, candles flicker, modern art rubs along well with the odd antique and food is taken seriously but without reverence. There's lots of robust local fish and seafood – squid with chilli, crab cakes with mayonnaise, gurnard with black olive tapenade, brilliant chips – and a pudding list that includes cheesecake from Californian Sherri's mum.
- Wheelchair access
- Wheelchair access to some public rooms and to wc's.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Children welcome
- Children of all ages welcome in some public rooms (highchairs not necessarily available).
- Wireless internet access available in the bar.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Public transport
- Within 2 miles of a bus/train station.
- Vegetarian meals
- Good vegetarian options on the menu.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
Have you visited The Mistley Thorn?Tell us your thoughts.
Lunch from £6.25. Set lunch £11.95 & £15. Dinner, 3 courses, about £25.
3pm-6.30pm. Open all day Sat & Sun.
High Street, Mistley, Manningtree, CO11 1HE, Essex
The Mistley Thorn is also a Special Place to Stay
- 5 Doubles
- 3 Twin/doubles
Price from £100