Penny Street Bridge
Penny Street, Lancaster, LA1 1XT,
England, United Kingdom
This grand old city pub-hotel has had a chequered past but its facelift is bound to impress. High ceilings, stained-glass windows, huge Art Deco lights (yes, the originals) and ornate plasterwork abounds. And the elegant dining room with its vintage mismatch of furniture and gleaming parquet is a pleasing space from which to ponder a varied menu; scallops with crab, apple and chilli is a typically good-looking dish. In the bar, sandwiches are packed with the likes of Lancashire cheese and chutney; for something more substantial, go for a light crispy stone-baked pizza – we're told they're going down a treat. Well-kept Thwaites cask beers await, and there's a selection of wines by the glass. In short, a lovely friendly pub-hotel, and a fine place for a spot of retail therapy, slap in the throbbing heart of historic Lancaster.
- Wheelchair access
- Wheelchair access to some public rooms and to wc's.
- Children welcome
- Children of all ages welcome in some public rooms (highchairs not necessarily available).
- Wireless internet access available in the bar.
- Vegetarian meals
- Good vegetarian options on the menu.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
Local points of interest from
- We source all our food locally; from the meat in our dishes to the cheese in our sandwiches. All can be found from producers not too far away.
- As the centre of the community of the city of Lancaster, we host many events throughout the year.
- We serve the full range of award winning Thwaites cask ales, so you are guaranteed the perfect pint from us!
- Lancaster is a city full of stories to be told. The city is as old York and Chester and once you begin to explore it you see the history unfold before your eyes.
- Lancaster Castle is the most fascinating place, with a history traced back to the Roman times. For centuries people from all over the country had to stand trial for their crimes within these walls.
- Lancaster Canal is located just across from the inn, and it stretches 42 miles from Tewittfield to Kendal. Perfect for lazy walks and exploring the picturesque countryside.
Have you visited Penny Street Bridge?Tell us your thoughts.
Breakfast £8.95. Lunch from £6.95. Bar meals from £5.95. Dinner from £8.95. Sunday lunch, 2 courses, £11.95.
Open all day.
Penny Street, Lancaster, LA1 1XT, Lancashire
Penny Street Bridge is also a Special Place to Stay
- 28 Doubles
Price from £70