The Ship Inn
The Strand, Rye, TN31 7DB,
England, United Kingdom
The 16th-century smuggler's warehouse stands by the quay at the bottom of cobbled Mermaid Street. Climb the church tower for stunning coast and marsh views, then retreat to the warmth of the Ship's laid-back bars. Cosy nooks, ancient timbers, blazing fires and a quirky delicious décor characterise this place; there are battered leather sofas, simple café-style chairs, old pine tables and good paintings and prints. Pick a pint of Harvey's Sussex or local farm cider, leaf through the papers, play a board game – there are heaps. Lunch and dinner menus are short, imaginative and seasonal, so tuck into confit duck with grilled aubergine and saffron yogurt, roast sea bream with buttered samphire, warm salad of squid, fennel and chorizo, and fish fresh from Rye Bay.
- Children welcome
- Children of all ages welcome in some public rooms (highchairs not necessarily available).
- Wireless internet access available in the bar.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Public transport
- Within 2 miles of a bus/train station.
- Vegetarian meals
- Good vegetarian options on the menu.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
Have you visited The Ship Inn?Tell us your thoughts.