Llanfihangel y Creuddyn, Aberystwyth, SY23 4LA,
Wales, United Kingdom
The drive to this pretty village, once a silver and lead mining community, is well worth it. Previously a farm and tax collector's office, Y Ffarmers has found its true calling under the delightful stewardship of chef Rhodri and wife Esther. You can walk into the quarry-tiled bar with mud on your boots and not an eyelid will be batted; enjoy a pint of Evan Evans or Felinfoel. The dining rooms next door have polished oak flooring, an assortment of tables, books on Wales, art on walls and a piano for impromptu musicianship; choral and harp evenings take place too. Everything is made from scratch, from bread and rolls to relishes and puddings. Menus range from Penlan gammon, egg and chips to lamb tagine with medjool dates, and a pomegranate and mint couscous too.
- Children welcome
- Children of all ages welcome in some public rooms (highchairs not necessarily available).
- Wireless internet access available in the bar.
- Vegetarian meals
- Good vegetarian options on the menu.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
Local points of interest from
- Visit the spectacular Mynach Falls at Devil's Bridge - and find out more about the local legend which gave the place its unusual name.
- After lunch at Y Ffarmers, take the mountain road across to Ponterwyd and watch flocks of Red Kites feeding every afternoon at the Nant yr Arian Centre - also a world-renowned location for mountain biking.
- Step in to the Picturesque Landscape of the Hafod Estate. Follow one of the beautiful way-marked walks in this isolated but inspirational area of the Ystwyth Valley.
- Pick up the hefty key which opens the imposing wooden doors of St Michael's Church opposite Y Ffarmers and find out why such a tiny village has such a huge 13th century church. Marvel at the wooden timber roof and wood carving of the Last Supper.
- Get on your bike and follow the Ystwyth Cycle Path. Take the footbridge over the river at Llanilar, through Pyllau farm and along the unclassified road leading to Llanfihangel.
- Visit the ancient abbey at Strata Florida, home to an order of Cistercian Monks in the Middle Ages and burial place of passionate Welsh poet Dafydd ap Gwilym.
Have you visited Y Ffarmers?Tell us your thoughts.
Lunch & dinner £5-£18.50. Sunday lunch £16 & £19.50.
Mondays all day except school summer holidays.
Llanfihangel y Creuddyn, Aberystwyth, SY23 4LA, Ceredigion