Crab Rock, The Warren, St Ives,
England, United Kingdom
Light floods in, waves crash on the rocks and views cascade from a large glass balcony over St Ives bay, where dolphins, seals and boats play... The designer lighthouse stands slim and tall on Crab Rock, off a pedestrian street of Cornish cottages, a flip-flop from the beaches and town centre. Enter four storeys of light-bathed tranquillity and quirky retro 50s design. Shocking pinks, deep reds, chocolate and sky blue splash colour on white walls and curtains; mirrors gleam and floor-to-ceiling windows wrap around the edges of a compact sitting room. There's an authentic American diner set and Smeg fridge in the little kitchen, jazzy flowers on pillows, crinkled lampshades and a proper balcony – one of the few properties to have one. The views are seriously beautiful, soaring over the sea to the harbour, town and bays. There's a sea view from both calm, minimalist bedrooms – one is on the ground floor, the other is up a spiral blue metal staircase and has dormer windows framed by sunny yellow blinds. It's a two-minute walk to the St Ives train or bus station and best value out of season: the town buzzes all year.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Michael & Carol Millward:
- You are 2 mins walk to Porthminster Beach, the Harbour (boat trips and beach), and many restaurants and shops. Porthmeor Beach (surfing lessons, beach cafe and the best sunsets in town) and The Tate are a five minute stroll as is Porthgwidden Beach.
- Within an hour or so by car, bus or train (station is 200 yards away), you can visit the Eden Project, the stunning outdoor Minack Theatre, St Michael's Mount, the Lizard, Land's End and gardens such as The Lost Gardens of Heligan and Trebah.
- Walk along the coastal path - head for Zennor. Walk past the seal colony and have a meal at The Tinner's Arms before taking the bus back to St Ives. Or you can set off to Lelant and Porthkidney beach - take the scenic train back from Lelant Downs.
- Walk up to the Leach Pottery, or enrol in an Art Class at St Ives School of Painting. Catch artists at work in the various open studios across the town, and enjoy the ambience of St Ives Arts Club, at the bottom of the lane from the Lighthouse.
- Enjoy the September Arts and Music Festival, where you can listen to musicians playing in Norway Square, or go and see a famous band or singer at the Guildhall.
- Spend an evening listening to live music in one of the local pubs (the Kettle and Wink is a well-known haunt for musicians from all over the country).
Have you visited The Lighthouse?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Lighthouse for 4
Special Offer: £100 off! - Book now! Weekly price reduced by £100 in May and June. See our website for availability.
Valid from 13/05/2013 till 12/06/2013
Children over 12 welcome. Short breaks sometimes available Nov-Feb inclusive. Prices on request.
Crab Rock, The Warren, St Ives, Cornwall