Uncle John’s House
148 Albany Road, Redruth,
England, United Kingdom
Bang in the centre of Cornwall this handsome Edwardian house on the edge of Redruth is only 12 minutes by car to Porthtowan, for surfing. It is a home from home, with books, games, a full larder of basics and a generous approach to guests (including reductions for smaller groups). It has big gardens, front and rear – with room for croquet – and space galore to sleep, eat and play. It's a light-filled, generous house with everything you need for a comfortable, easy stay. There are hugely comfortable beds in the four bedrooms, a wood-burning stove in each of the two sitting rooms, books and a kitchen/dining room large enough for everyone to eat and chill in. Children can let off steam on one of the lawns while you sip a drink on the patio, or barbecue fresh fish picked up from the coast. Hop on the train to St Ives – you just need to change at St Erth onto the branch line. Perfect – and no wrestling with cars in the town. The River Fal is also close – so you can choose which coast to be on. Redruth has a brand new Cultural centre, a superb bakery, a main-line train station and a splendid cinema with sofas and waiter–service.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Em Sawday:
- SURFING Lessons on Porthcurno beach all through the season. KITESURFING at Perranporth. Mobins Kite School.
- CYCLING Hire bikes at The Bike Barn near Portreath and cycle Coast to Coast along 15 miles of fairly flat trail.
- RESTAURANTS Blue at Porthtowan. The Old Coastguard at Mousehole. The Gurnards Head at Gurnards Head. Coldstreamer at Gulval.
- THEATRE Kneehigh [Cornwall’s National Theatre Company] perform all summer long in a big top in a field 15 minutes away. Great entertainment for children and adults.
- PARADISE PARK HAYLE Animals to look at from snakes to a red panda. Farm animals to pet and a miniature railway to ride.
- STEAM RAILWAY Lappa Valley Steam Railway near Newquay.
Have you visited Uncle John’s House?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 House for 8
£100/night for 2 couples, £140/night for 3 couples. Pets welcome if kept in kitchen.
148 Albany Road, Redruth, Cornwall