Cedar Manor Hotel
Ambleside Road, Windermere, LA23 1AX,
England, United Kingdom
A small country house on the edge of Windermere with good prices, pretty interiors and delicious food. Jonathan and Caroline love their world and can't stop spending money on it. Their most recent extravagance is the coach-house suite, a hedonist's dream; the bathroom is out of this world, the sitting room has a vast sofa, gadgets are sprinkled about (iPod dock, PlayStation, Nespresso coffee machine). The main house, originally a 17th-century cottage, was once home to a retired vicar, hence the ecclesiastic windows. Outside, an ancient cedar of Lebanon shades the lawn. Inside, cool colours and an easy style flourish. There's a beautiful sitting room in brown and cream with clumps of sofas and local art, then a sparkling dining room that overlooks the garden, where you dig into excellent food, perhaps crab cakes, rack of lamb, pear Charlotte with caramel mouse. Bedrooms – some warmly traditional, others nicely contemporary – have Zoffany fabrics, Lloyd Loom wicker and flat-screen TVs; most have fancy bathrooms, some have big views. All things Windermere wait.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Jonathan & Caroline Kaye:
- We have joined the Electric Bike Network and have 2 brilliant bikes to rent out from the Hotel. They are £25 each for a full day including breakdown cover, maps and recharge points. (£20 if you come by train and show us a valid ticket)
- Hills to Climb - numerous but our local hill - Orrest Head, sitting behind the Hotel, overlooks Windermere and the panoramic view is stunning. Alfred Wainwright’s first ever hill climb!
- Windermere Lake - England's largest Lake, just 1/4 mile stroll along a bridle path starting at the hotel.
- Blackwell House, one of the best examples of an Arts and Crafts House, just 2 miles away overlooking the lake.
- Bigland Hall for horse riding, beginners through to experienced riders, 25 minutes drive and bookable via the hotel.
- Mountain Goat Tours, one of the easiest ways to see the Lakes, take a 10 Lakes Tour and spend the day seeing and experiencing the Lake District. Bookable via the Hotel with pick-ups at Cedar Manor on a daily basis.
Have you visited Cedar Manor Hotel?Tell us your thoughts.
- 7 Doubles
- 1 Twin
- 2 Suites for 2
Singles from £100 to £385. Dinner, B&B from £102 to £232 per person. Extra bed/sofabed available from £40 to £70 per person per night.
Minimum two nights at weekends.
Ambleside Road, Windermere, LA23 1AX, Cumbria