Crook Road, Windermere, LA23 3NE,
England, United Kingdom
Gilpin delivers at every turn, its staff delightful, its food divine. Cool country-house elegance flows throughout: Zoffany wallpaper, gilded mirrors, flowers everywhere. Bedrooms have exquisite fabrics, delicious art; some with French windows that open onto the garden, others with hot tubs on private terraces. Afternoon tea is served every day; a car will whisk you to the restaurant for delicious suppers. At the main house you’re in 20 acres of silence, so throw open doors and sit on the south-facing (and candlelit) terrace surrounded by pots of colour. The South Garden was planted by Great Grandmother Cunliffe in 1917: sweeping lawns are laid with borders and hedgerows with mature trees. The East Garden has a water feature, and a rockery of Japanese heathers. Just a mile away is the Lake House with stunning all-round views: once simple grazing land it is now idyllic woodland that blends seamlessly into the landscape. A rockery winds up to a Druid circle and the kitchen garden has pristine beds of raised slate. A clearing reveals dramatic glimpses down the valley to Morecambe Bay. Laze on the jetty and listen to nought but birds.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Have you visited Gilpin Hotel?Tell us your thoughts.
- 8 Doubles
- 12 Twin/doubles
- 6 Suites for 2
Special Offer: Magic Moments – Silver - Stay in a Junior Suite, enjoy Champagne with something sweet, 2x 30 min Spa treatment or Aroma Consultation with bespoke products, candle lit spa bath, Aroma salts, 7 course taster menu and breakfast.
Minimum two nights at weekends. Special rates for three or more nights.
Crook Road, Windermere, LA23 3NE, Cumbria