Swinside Lodge Hotel
Newlands, Keswick, CA12 5UE,
England, United Kingdom
Swinside is a dream – a small, intimate country house that sits in silence at the foot of Cat Bells. Fells rise, spirits soar, and Derwent Water, Queen of the Lakes, is a short stroll through the woods. Kath and Mike came back from France to take up the reins of this ever-popular hotel and they haven't stopped; sash windows have been replaced, bedrooms have been given a makeover, fancy bathrooms are now de rigueur. Downstairs, you'll find fresh flowers and comfy sofas in the yellow drawing room, shelves of books and a jukebox in the sitting room, red walls and gilt-framed mirrors in the dining room, where windows frame views of Skiddaw. Super food waits in the restaurant, exactly what you want after a day on the fells – tasty fishcakes, local lamb, chocolate mousse. Upstairs, a new regime is taking shape in the bedrooms with warm colours, golden throws and padded window seats spreading a cool country elegance. Outside, a host of characters visit the garden: a woodpecker, red squirrels, roe deer. Wonderful.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Mike & Kathy Bilton:
- Swinside Lodge surrounded by open countryside and fells - walk and leave the car behind. Alternatively, leave the car at home, pick up a train to Penrith station, taxi down to the Lodge and forget the daily grind once you walk though our door.
- 5 minutes walk from edge of Lake Derwentwater where launch may be taken for trips around the lake or into Keswick
- 5 minute drive into Keswick, market day Thursday and Saturday. Take your pick cafes, galleries, outdoor shops, pubs - you name it it's there!
- Packed lunches available together with maps of local walks onto fells or around the lake - see our Walking Break all year round special break
- 28 varieties of birds within hotel grounds
- Take a break from walking numerous fells within local area and try a coastal walk - 30 minutes away
Have you visited Swinside Lodge Hotel?Tell us your thoughts.
- 5 Doubles
- 2 Twins
Special Offer: Gourmet Breaks - 2 night Weekend or any 3 nights - 14th Feb to 27th Mar 2014 - terrific savings. AA 2 Rosette restaurant with AA Notable 75 bin wine list. Four course dinner and full Cumbrian breakfast - walk it off next day on glorious fells around
Children over 12 welcome.
December & January.
Newlands, Keswick, CA12 5UE, Cumbria