Queen’s Drive, Windermere,
England, United Kingdom
This handsome Victorian house brings a smile to your face the moment you step through the door. Wide shutters and crafted balustrades blend with Designer's Guild touches and colours from Farrow & Ball, and each detail is a delight, from the box of decorations for a Christmas stay to the original warm wooden floors. The heart of the Hollies is its parlour, stylishly white, with sumptuous white linen sofas and rugs at your feet, oils on the walls and a teardrop chandelier. Curtains billow, the wood-burner glows, and doors open from the dining room to a gravelled courtyard and a little pocket garden. The kitchen has a big green Aga, a beam rescued from an old chemist shop, and slate from the original Grasmere bus station; one of the twins (complete with books and maps) is on this floor, along with a quirky wet room. Up the stairs: a galleried landing with a music corner (piano, guitar and mandolin), four airy bedrooms in harmonious colours, and a bathroom generous and warm. You are in a genteel street in Windermere, walking distance from the largest natural lake in England. Pubs, restaurants, vintage finds await...
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Jill Clarke:
- Within driving distance of 16 sparkling lakes of unsurpassed scenery including Wastwater, England's deepest lake and Britain's Favourite View.
- Get closer to nature; feast on local produce in cosy tearooms, locally brewed organic ales & beer or your choice of 4 Michelin starred restaurants.
- A quirky & discreet snuggle-in retreat. Bose, Wi-Fi, iMac, Plasma HD and iPod docking station.
- Inspire your creativity at spectacular festivals, exhibitions, theatre, film and arts events.
- Rich diversity of wildlife within minutes of The Hollies. Red squirrels, tawny owls and red deer plus the rare golden eagle - if you fancy a drive to Haweswater.
- From the doorstep you can enjoy fantastic fell and valley walks, mountain bike routes and even a helicopter flight. Sailing, Rock-Climbing, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Fishing, & Golf course nearby or take to the skies and drift peacefully in a hot air balloon.
Have you visited The Hollies?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 House for 10
Queen’s Drive, Windermere, Cumbria