Mappleton, Ashbourne, DE6 2AB,
England, United Kingdom
Deliciously rural: views soar over the valley, night skies blaze with stars and you can saunter across the field to picnic by the river Dove. It was in this 1750s Georgian manor that George Eliot penned Adam Bede; now it's a delightful country getaway with pecking chickens, the odd sheep, and horses peeking over stable doors. The front wing is yours, with a sun terrace and garden fringed by roses, shrubs and veg. Inside, lovely to warm your toes by the log burner in a properly traditional, sash-windowed drawing room with exquisite fabrics, wingback chairs and horsey ornaments. High-ceilinged bedrooms are just as gracious: beds are top quality, bathrooms new, paintings bucolic, views supreme. Stylish black and cream kitchenware adds a retro touch to the family kitchen; a picnic hamper begs to be used. There is no noise bar country noises, no people bar Kim and her family in the east wing. Hugely friendly, she'll greet you with cream tea or G&T, and can do breakfasts with home-laid eggs. Find antiques, boutiques and good food in Ashbourne – and walks galore, whether a riverside stroll or the Derbyshire Peaks.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Kim Peatfield:
- Situated right by the River Dove
- Wonderful walks from the doorstep, to Dovedale and beyond
- Great village pub with good food, just a five minute stroll along the river
- An area rich in historic stately homes, with Chatsworth just 20 minutes drive away
- Just 10 minutes from Alton Towers
- Sleep in the room where George Eliot wrote Adam Bede
Have you visited Mappleton Manor?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 House for 6
Special Offer: Enjoy three nights for the price of two - Escape the weekend crowds in this luxurious haven on the banks of the River Dove. 3 nights from only £300. Any weekday except summer hols. Includes welcome drink and basket of logs for chilly nights.
Valid from 09/05/2013 till 31/07/2013
Short breaks available £300-£550.
Mappleton, Ashbourne, DE6 2AB, Derbyshire