North Barn, Whitestone Farm
England, United Kingdom
The river laps at the edge of your bed and you bathe in light. Or so it seems, with nothing but water and sky visible through the great glass-and-timber doors at the end of the big open space that is North Barn. It is awash with light and colour, gay with the easy good humour of Pedro and Jilly, architect and artist. Cook in a galley kitchen (well-equipped), sleep on a low platform, curtained for privacy. Slop about on the big wooden deck, with nothing but a sliver of greenery 'twixt you and the river. Paint, sketch, read, walk, or lie in bed all day and gaze at the Dart and its bobbing boats and wading birds. Sublime in summer, cosy with wood-burner and sofas in winter, this is one of Alastair Sawday's favourite places and is not the formica-type squeaky clean sort of spot the modern-living lover may hope for, but it is loaded with character and many love it so much they come back year after year. The area is awash with 'attractions', but you may prefer to wait for low tide and pick your way along the foreshore to the restaurant/pub at Tuckenhay. Absolutely perfect for two (and a child).
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from
Pedro & Jilly Sutton:
- Dartington Hall nearby. Nr Dartmouth & Totnes.
- Boat-hire & sailing available in Ditisham.
- Dittisham to Dartmouth by river.
- Wood-turning courses available on farm next door (www.turningintoart.com).
- Art Gallery down the road...and Jilly's sculpture studio next door.
Have you visited North Barn, Whitestone Farm?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Barn for 2
Special Offer: North Barn special offer - 4 nights for the price of 3 From 21st April to 25th April Total £300.00
Week stays only from March onwards.
Cornworthy, Totnes, Devon