Old Post Cottage
England, United Kingdom
Back in the 1830s, this neat white cottage in a sweet North Devon village was the post office. Its thick stone walls have seen centuries of history; the rest is bang up to date. Fresh paint predominates in the tidy living room, where comfy taupe sofas cluster around a stone inglenook fireplace. A modern fitted kitchen has all the equipment you need to rustle up breakfast or crack a lobster claw – and a welcome cream tea from the owners – and you can eat inside around a folding table or spill outside to the large garden at the back. Upstairs bedrooms (one double, one twin) continue the theme of modern lines and uncluttered calm, with their simple wooden furniture and sea-green or washed-blue walls. There's a downstairs shower room and a small bath upstairs. Forget the car: you can pop to the little shop for croissants in the morning and dine on fresh seafood in Mortehoe's pubs and restaurants. Woolacombe's blue flag beach is close (surfing gets even bigger further down the coast) and there's the South West Coast path.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Emma Knight:
- Mortehoe is a pretty coastal village surrounded by National Trust land in a marine conservation area. Rockham Beach is a 20-minute walk from the cottage. Morte Point, an area of outstanding natural beauty, is almost on the doorstep
- The village has cosy pubs, two excellent restaurants (limited winter opening), a Post Office, a 13th-century church and a shop where you can pick up fresh croissants for breakfast
- Woolacombe, the adjacent village, is famous for its perfect sandy beach which has repeatedly earned the EC blue flag award for quality and cleanliness
- Other great surfing beaches like Croyde and Saunton are just a couple of miles away. Exmoor National Park isn’t much further
- Our cottage, a beautiful 16th-century hideaway, is perfect for couples or families. It has a large well-maintained private garden, gorgeous lounge with wood-burner and cosy bedrooms. It's recently been refurbished throughout
Have you visited Old Post Cottage?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Cottage for 4
Weekly rental. Saturday changeovers.