The Hay House
Blacklake Farm, East Hill, Ottery St Mary,
England, United Kingdom
Cows and sheep organically reared, pigs snuffling in the orchard, chickens for breakfast's eggs... such is the setting for this simple home beautified by natural materials. The former dairy and hay barn have become one big lofty oak-floored space, comfortable with log-burner, rugs and floral sofa. One bedroom overlooks it from the gallery; the other – bathed in daylight – has wonderful views. Sailing boats dot the window-blind of the children's twin; all share a blue bathroom with a roll top tub. The kitchen is well-equipped, the fridge is stocked with seasonal goodies, the workable furniture is in keeping with the mood, and you will enjoy leisurely meals at the pew-lined table. As for the farm, it's part of the Soil Association Network – 80 acres of ancient land on which butterflies, badgers and deer flourish alongside native breeds of sheep and cattle, and you can buy what the farm produces, from organic meat to woolly scarves! Wander the fields and orchards, settle into your own patch with open views. A treat for those who love ancient land – and there's a wonderful new-old games room with ping pong and pool.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Catherine & Nick Broomfield:
- Soil Association Demonstration Farm, species rich pastures, woodland and orchards
- on the door step: south west coastal path, jurassic coast, Hugh FW's River Cottage
- glorious views from the front door, and Blacklake Farm to explore
- Games Room with full size pool table and table-tennis
- feed chickens, pigs, watch lambing in Spring
- situated in AONB, great country and coastal walks, sand, sea, rock pools, and ice cream at Sidmouth,
Have you visited The Hay House?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 House for 6
Blacklake Farm, East Hill, Ottery St Mary, Devon