The Horn of Plenty
Gulworthy, Tavistock, PL19 8JD,
England, United Kingdom
This country-house hotel has been thrilling guests for 40 years and it doesn't take long to work out why. The view, the food, the staff and the rooms: all deliver in spades. The house goes back to 1860 and was built for the captain of the mines, who could peer down the valley and check his men were at work; these days it's the Tamar snaking through the hills below that catches the eye. Inside you find the essence of graceful simplicity: stripped floors, gilt mirrors, exquisite art and flowers everywhere. Bedrooms are just as good. Some have terraces that look down to the river, others come in country-house style with vast beds, old armoires, shimmering throws and rugs on stripped floors; bathrooms are predictably divine. As for the food, it's the big draw, so expect to eat well, perhaps Falmouth Bay scallops with a carrot purée, Devonshire lamb with a Madeira sauce, then milk chocolate and hazelnut mousse with a passion fruit and banana parfait. Best of all are the staff, who couldn't be more helpful. Tavistock, Dartmoor and The Eden Project are all within striking distance.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Julie Leivers & Damien Pease:
- We're just 10 minutes' drive from Dartmoor, and less than 20 minutes from Cotehele, The Garden House and Buckland Abbey.
- An hour's drive will take you to both North and South Devon coasts, with stunning beaches and the wonderful Coastal Path.
- If you'd prefer to sit and relax, we've 6 acres of stunning gardens to wander, log fires in winter and comfy chairs in which to curl up and enjoy a good book. In Summer, sip a G&T on our lovely patio and enjoy stunning views and magical sunsets.
- Fancy a bit of pampering? Call us in advance to book a massage, a facial, a manicure/pedicure with one of our highly trained therapists....
- Our kitchen garden is well worth a visit!
- Dogs are welcome in some of our garden rooms. They'll love wandering the gardens, and the direct access onto 25km of Tamar Trails.
Have you visited The Horn of Plenty?Tell us your thoughts.
- 16 Twin/doubles
Special Offer: Enjoy 20% off stays of 2 nights or more! - May room rate from just £148 dinner, bed & breakfast per night. June room rate from £156 per night. Excludes Saturdays.
Gulworthy, Tavistock, PL19 8JD, Devon