The Lazy Toad Inn
Brampford Speke, Exeter, EX5 5DP,
England, United Kingdom
This lovely little inn is humble and gracious and not like those fancy places that always want to blow their own trumpets. It's a way of life. Clive rears sheep and grows masses of food on their land behind, then Mo helps to cook it to keep the locals smiling. You're in a tiny Devon village, close to the church, where you'll find a river you can walk alongside. Back at the pub there's a cobbled courtyard, then a small lawn behind; in good weather both make a lovely spot for lunch. Inside, a warm cottage style runs throughout: painted settles, a wood-burner, the odd sofa, good art. Bedrooms above have irresistible prices and come in various shapes and sizes. You get pretty furniture, colourful throws, painted beams and Farrow & Ball colours; one has a funky bathroom. Back in the bar, find local ales, Devon wines, even homemade cordials. As for the food, some of which is foraged, well, we've left the best for last, perhaps goat cheese soufflé, shoulder of Devon lamb, home-grown rhubarb mousse. Exeter is five miles away, but it feels like a hundred. Fabulous.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Mo & Clive Walker:
- Just a short drive from Exeter University and the city with all its attractions including the Cathedral, underground passages, lovely canal and river walks, shopping at Princesshay or the new John Lewis store.
- Properties well worth a visit nearby include Fursdon House, Killerton House and gardens, Castle Drogo and the gardens at Knightshayes.
- Walk along the coastal path at Exmouth or along its sandy beach. Cycle or walk along the Exe estuary from Topsham to Lympstone or closer to home along parts of the Exe valley and the Devonshire Heartland Ways.
- Explore the farmers market at Crediton on the first Saturday of each month or visit Darts Farm and take quality local produce home.
- Further afield you can visit the lovely village of Lustleigh on Dartmoor and enjoy the lush moorland valley and hills that surround it or walk at Haytor and enjoy the panoramic views to the Devon and Dorset coasts from there.
Have you visited The Lazy Toad Inn?Tell us your thoughts.
- 5 Doubles
All ages welcome to dine. Children over 12 welcome to stay.
Last 3 weeks in January.
Brampford Speke, Exeter, EX5 5DP, Devon
The Lazy Toad Inn is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink