La Fosse at Cranborne
The Square, Cranborne, Wimborne, BH21 5PR,
England, United Kingdom
This is a lovely restaurant with rooms in a pretty Dorset village – small and friendly, nicely homespun, owner-run and owner-cooked. Emmanuelle and Mark love their world, it's a way of life and they share it with guests happily and generously. Downstairs, there's a smart sitting room with stripped floors and maps for walkers. Upstairs, a clutch of pretty bedrooms wait with warm colours, attractive fabrics, comfy beds and spotless bathrooms. They're very well priced, so splash out on the bigger rooms and find a sofa or a separate sitting room. Not that you'll linger long. Mark's food is the big draw, much of it sourced within 20 miles. You eat in a pretty dining room with an open fire roaring beyond a couple of sofas. It's delicious stuff, perhaps game terrine with ale chutney, slow-cooked lamb with village vegetables, then pears poached in sloe gin with chocolate ice cream. Best of all is the cheese board, a tasting menu of ten local cheeses – utterly irresistible. You can walk it all off a few miles west at Hambledon Hill (a prehistoric hill fort) for big country views. Brilliant.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Emmanuelle & Mark Hartstone:
- Private house party hire and private lunch parties (8-25 persons) available.
- Christmas and New York House party package now available
- Close to Jurassic Coast, New Forest, Salisbury
- Ideal for walking and cycling. We provide maps and free bicycles (first come, first serve)
- National Trust properties and gardens
Have you visited La Fosse at Cranborne?Tell us your thoughts.
- 3 Doubles
- 2 Twin/doubles
- 1 Suite for 2
Minimum stay: 2 nights at weekends.
The Square, Cranborne, Wimborne, BH21 5PR, Dorset