La Fosse at Cranborne
The Square, Cranborne, Wimborne, BH21 5PR,
England, United Kingdom
Cranborne was home to Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury, the Tudor spymaster who moved King James onto the throne when Elizabeth died in 1603. Under his patronage the village grew into a market town with a garrison to protect a plentiful supply of royal visitors; these days the village has returned to its sleepy roots and is all the better for it. Mark and Emmanuelle arrived three years ago, he to cook, she to polish and shine. It's a small affair, a restaurant with rooms that has resisted the urge for all-out contemporary design. Instead, you find something more homespun: a bar that doubles as reception; sofas in front of a wood-burner; travel books to sweep you away; maps galore for glorious walking. Bedrooms upstairs, recently refurbished, have a super style: warm yellows, pretty fabrics, comfy beds and crisp white linen, smart little bathrooms with underfloor heating. Best of all is the restaurant for Mark's rustic cooking: game terrine, roast shoulder of veal, Capricorn goat cheese with plum compote. Spin west a few miles to Hambledon Hill (a prehistoric hill fort) for huge country views.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Emmanuelle & Mark Hartstone:
- Private house party hire and private lunch parties (8-25 persons) available.
- Christmas and New York House party package now available
- Close to Jurassic Coast, New Forest, Salisbury
- Ideal for walking and cycling. We provide maps and free bicycles (first come, first serve)
- National Trust properties and gardens
Have you visited La Fosse at Cranborne?Tell us your thoughts.
- 3 Doubles
- 2 Twin/doubles
- 1 Suite for 2
Minimum stay: 2 nights at weekends.
The Square, Cranborne, Wimborne, BH21 5PR, Dorset