The Billet Doux
4a Ballard Estate, Swanage,
England, United Kingdom
Romantics who enjoy the sea need look no further. This is a unique, private, cliff-top estate which began as a tented military camp in 1909; later Canadian timber was used to build these remaining barrack huts. Annexed to the old Post Office – where the owners do B&B – is your billet doux with garden. Walk straight into a pretty kitchen with duck-egg blue painted cupboards and wooden worktops, a china-filled, hand-carved French dresser, a bottle of wine and a wire basket filled with fresh eggs (each named after the hen!). The cream-carpeted living room is roomy and funky with reproduction Louis Quinze gilt armchairs and a contemporary sofa, hand-made crewel-work drapes over French windows and tiny chandeliers: vintage style-seekers will swoon. The bedroom shouldn't disappoint: it's cool and sleek, painted in soft greens with a distressed French wardrobe and a chest of drawers, and views over the sunny patio from which you can barbecue. No bath, but a spanking double shower with a heated floor has chunky towels and fragrant oils. A few steps and you are on your way to the beach; or join the coastal path here.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Rowena Bishop:
- Walk the ridge to Corfe Castle, with stunning views. Enjoy a cream tea and catch the steam train back.
- Walk up over Ballard Down to visit Old Harry, then swim at Studland's beautiful sandy beaches.
- Enjoy the views and a pint of own-brew cider at the unique Square and Compass pub, Worth Matravers.
- Visit the stone globe and lighthouse at Durlston Country Park - the start of the Jurassic Coast.
- See red squirrels and peacocks on Brownsea Island.
- Visit Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door.
Have you visited The Billet Doux?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Annexe for 2
Short breaks (min 3 nights) in low season £220.
4a Ballard Estate, Swanage, Dorset