The Smithy, The Old Forge
Fanners Yard, Compton Abbas, Shaftesbury,
England, United Kingdom
Go slow in Dorset. When Tim and Lucy first came across this Victorian forge – across the yard from their house – they found the blacksmith's tools exactly as he'd left them. They have restored the building with a sensitive eye. Bellows, anvils, pincers and hammers from the smithy's days complement stone, brick, coir matting and the ancient roof timbers of the sitting room – warm and cosy with a wood-burning stove and jugs of wild flowers. The terracotta tiled kitchen is small but has all the bits and pieces you need; off here is the immaculately pretty bathroom. Up six steps and you're into a pretty galleried bedroom, with folksy painted furniture, iron bedstead, French style bedspread and crisp white sheets. On fine days take tea under a clematis and rose covered arbour. Walk from door across gorgeous Fontmell Down, explore the nearby iron-age cross dykes, or go a little further for historic castles and grand houses. The easy-going and friendly Kerridges don't stop at simply restoring old buildings: if you're into veteran cars you'll appreciate Tim's collection of classics, including a magnificent 1930s Lagonda.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from
Tim & Lucy Kerridge:
- Breadmaking courses available locally.
- Just over half an hour from The Jurassic Coast.
- Celebrity master chef Mat Follas has recently opened the Wild Garlic in Iwerne Minster (5 minutes away) for dining and even foraging courses!
- Convenient for The Great Dorset Steam Fair at the end of August.
- Thomas Hardy county.
- Longleat is a half-hour drive.
Have you visited The Smithy, The Old Forge?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Cottage for 2
Fanners Yard, Compton Abbas, Shaftesbury, Dorset