Gold Hill, Shaftesbury,
England, United Kingdom
Enchanting – and at the top of the most famous cobbled hill in the country. Park at the bottom and puff your way up – like the Hovis boy in the ad. Centuries ago the cottage was a butchers; now it glows, and spreads itself over four floors of low beams, oak floorboards, beautiful cream carpets and deep-hide-in recesses. Pale walls juxtapose with rich silks and tapestries, carved oak mirrors and charming reclamation finds. The farmhouse kitchen has smart worktops, a modern Aga, a Nespresso machine. Breakfast on a welcome pack of Dorset goodies; fling open the doors to the delightful, steep-terraced garden, with heavenly views over Blackmore Vale. There's a music room with a baby grand, a sitting room with a wood-burner. On the first floor are two single rooms and a double with a window seat overlooking the hill. Up to the master room under the rafters, its tiny shower room as enticing as the rest. A bathroom with a basin set in a chunk of elm and a wet room on the ground floor are further luxuries. Shaftesbury is a favourite with artists, writers and musicians, rich in history and cafés and restaurants.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Wireless internet access available.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Simon & Jane Colston:
- Spectacular views from this Gold Award 5 star cottage on 'Hovis Hill' over miles and miles of glorious English countryside. Free Wifi and landline calls if you are forced to be contactable!
- Baby grand piano, high quality audio systems, many world class music festivals nearby - perfect for music lovers.
- Jurassic coast & Cotswolds within 1 hour, Salisbury & Cathedral, Sherborne Abbey, Stonehenge and Hardy Country within 30 mins. Or learn to fly at nearby Compton Abbas airfield!
- Wealth of wonderful locally produced food both to enjoy out or in the cottage kitchen equipped to create gastronomic banquets. Personal chef recommended.
- Popular accommodation for weddings at nearby Larmer Tree Gardens & Wardour Castle.
- Minute walk from National Express coach stop, 4 miles from train station with good taxi service.
Have you visited Updown Cottage?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Cottage for 6
Special Offer: Jane Colston - Late availability discount 21st - 28th June reduced by £200 to £795 Short breaks within that week reduced by £100 to £595
Valid from 10/06/2013 till 28/06/2013
Gold Hill, Shaftesbury, Dorset