The Lion Inn
North Street, Winchcombe, Cheltenham, GL54 5PS,
England, United Kingdom
Annie's determination to restore an old inn's charms has been an joyous success. Push open the heavy oak door to reveal a beautiful main bar: rugs on pale-painted floors, candles at mullioned windows, rough stone walls, and a log fire crackling in a 15th-century inglenook. Jugs of fresh flowers, battered leather armchairs and grand gilt-framed paintings enhance the authentic feel. Review the papers over a pint of real ale, play scrabble, cards or one of the selection of games. Order from the seasonal menu: perhaps ham hock and black pudding terrine, monkfish with chorizo piperade, pineapple tarte tatin. In summer, spill onto the peaceful terrace for a platter of seafood. Country-chic rooms upstairs – one with its own small balcony, three with private staircases, one above the noisy snug bar – are toasty-warm and TV-free, with inviting beds and soothing colours, upholstered armchairs and antique furniture. Bathrooms are just as good, with Bramley products and en-suite showers. Winchcombe is on the Cotswold Way; Chipping Campden, Broadway and Cheltenham are a short drive.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
- The Lion Inn is ideally located in the centre of Winchcombe, a wonderfully unspoilt Cotswold town that dates back to Saxon times.
- Winchcombe is located in one of the most stunning areas of the Cotswolds, where the Cotswold Hills tumble into the Severn Valley offering striking contrasts and views as far as the Black Mountains in Wales.
- Our town is full of antiques centres, award-winning delicatessens, boutique cake shops, acclaimed restaurants and, on the outskirts, one of the most romantic country houses in England – Sudeley Castle!
- At The Lion Inn we have a selection of our favourite, local, circular walks that we can provide for your stay. These range from 1 hour short walks to 5-6 hour romps through the Cotswold countryside.
- Whilst you're with us you might like to visit some of the following local attractions: Sudeley Castle (home to Queen Katherine Parr), Hailes Abbey (a Cistercian Abbey founded in 1246) or Belas Knap (a neolithic Long Barrow) to name but a few.
- We can arrange fishing, shooting, rides on the steam train, visits to Prescott Speed Hill Climb (on certain dates) and tickets for the shows in Cheltenham.
- 5 Doubles
- 2 Suites for 3
Dinner, B&B from £160 to £235 per person. Extra bed/sofabed available from £25 to £50 per person per night.
North Street, Winchcombe, Cheltenham, GL54 5PS, Gloucestershire
The Lion Inn is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink