The Temple, Stancombe Park
England, United Kingdom
A neoclassical beauty in 20 green acres by a tranquil lake: inspiration for romantics, poets – and wild swimmers. The Grade I folly was built by a reverend, restored by English Heritage, festooned by creative Nic with Moorish rugs, gilded artworks, extravagant mirrors, scallop-shell lights... fantastic. Off the marble-pillared, roof-lit hall: a dainty writing desk, a phone cubby, whisky decanters on a miniature bar. Curl up on grand armchairs by an electric fire, put on music or a DVD... and the bed? Dive into a tiny windowed alcove, pull the curtains: it's One Thousand and One Nights! Generously stocked with champagne, smoked salmon, chocolate truffles, the small kitchen is modern enough. But more fun to barbecue outside, where gardens glide out to conifers and steps tumble to a jetty. Row past a summerhouse, fountain, Egyptian folly... the scene, over the years, of beauty contests, water polo, jazz and costumed balls. Both Cotswold Way and road swing past the estate (some traffic), and cutely named villages – North Nibley, Wotton-under-Edge – have shops and a pub. "Bonkers," says our inspector, "but totally special."
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from
- Lavish welcome pack includes champagne, wine, chocolate, fruit, everything for breakfast...
Have you visited The Temple, Stancombe Park?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Pavilion for 2
1st January - 10th March.
Stancombe, Dursley, Gloucestershire