The Bell Hotel
1 Upper Strand Street, Sandwich, CT13 9EF,
England, United Kingdom
Sandwich, a Cinque port, is England's best-preserved medieval town. It's tiny, dates to the 12th century, and timber-framed houses are found all over town. The Bell stands opposite the old toll gate, where the river Stour glides past on its way to the sea. You can follow it down to Sandwich Bay past the famous Royal St George's golf course. Back at the hotel revolving doors propel you into an elegant world of golden sofas, smouldering logs and vintage luggage piled up in a corner. Open-plan interiors flow from restaurant to conservatory to bar. All are smart and airy, with blond wood and halogen lighting giving a contemporary feel. Doors open onto a terrace in summer, while brasserie-style food hits the spot. Bedrooms come in different sizes and mix comfort and style in equal measure. The bigger ones with river views are fabulous, but smaller rooms are nicely priced and all have warm colours, sparkling bathrooms, digital radios and WiFi. Canterbury is close, Turner Contemporary in Margate is unmissable, and Broadstairs, a pretty seaside town, is worth a peek.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Have you visited The Bell Hotel?Tell us your thoughts.
- 29 Twin/doubles
- 4 Family rooms for 2
- 2 Singles
- 2 Suites for 2
1 Upper Strand Street, Sandwich, CT13 9EF, Kent