Chapel Field, Stalham, Norwich,
England, United Kingdom
By a windmill, on a bend in the river in the Norfolk Broads, is a hugely appealing mill keeper's cottage with a gorgeous, sustainable extension – winner of the RIBA Manser medal for best new house in the UK, 2010 and described as 'more akin to a piece of art than a piece of rural, domestic architecture'. The ground floor has a high vaulted ceiling and is open plan and light-filled with great river views and defined areas for sitting, cooking and eating; the kitchen and utility room have absolutely everything you could wish for. There's a two-way open fireplace and an impressive suspended stairway leading to simply stylish bedrooms above, with pale colours, big limestone-tiled bathrooms and, again, great views. A steep winding stair leads to two rooms in the original part of the cottage, their beams painted white. It's all been thought through: logs laid on, space for wellies and for drying stuff, your can star gaze, sit out in the sun, watch the wildlife from inside or out. An irresistible weathered boardwalk bears you over the marsh: be in Norwich in half an hour, on the beach in quarter. And you've your own mooring.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Have you visited Hunsett Mill?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 House for 9
Min. 3 night stay, 5 in high season.
Chapel Field, Stalham, Norwich, Norfolk