Caynham Mill, Caynham, Ludlow,
England, United Kingdom
Wonderfully chunky, seductively snug and full of fun and the sweet smell of new wood. Drop down from the road, pass under the oak, turn right, and there's Annie's Cabin – bordered by meadow, brook and trees. It's brand new, built of Douglas fir, topped with a solar-panelled roof and beautifully finished inside with polished oak floors and doors. A wood pellet stove in shiny red enamel kicks out warmth, French windows to the meadows let the sun stream in and two decked terraces, one facing south, are more than conducive to a glass of red and a good book. There's a cosy-cabin mood for couples or a fairy tale feel for families and reams of space for outdoor games. Inside is open-plan and full of lovely touches: a guitar on the wall, books on the shelf, maps in the drawer, DVDs, leather sofa and armchairs, a small classy telly and sound system. The kitchen style is cream Shaker, the china is dark maroon and the white goods are as green as can be. Bedrooms are peaceful and cosy, while the wet room is impeccably minimalist. Everything is lovely, and that includes the welcome from the owners, who live in the mill house up the bank. If we were guests, we'd shop in Ludlow's food markets (two miles off) and spend the evening in, maybe baking pizzas under the stars in the hand-built earth oven – yum!
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from George Tasker:
- Enjoy some good food! Ludlow (2 miles) is well known for its selection of restaurants and pubs. Or get everyone cooking – there's a fantastic selection of butchers, bakers, and local fruit and veg, so you can shop in the morning and BBQ in the evening
- Wonderful walks, both around Ludlow, and in the Shropshire Hills.
- Explore Ludlow Castle, which hosts a number of festivals (Food & drink, Medieval Fayre, Summer open air Shakespeare)
- Recommended nearby outdoor activities include hiring a canoe on the Severn, returning by steam railway, 'Go Ape' at Bewdley, or hiring a bike or electric bike
- Use your holiday to try out green technologies - try the wood pellet stove in the depths of winter, try cooking in the pellet stove and on the induction hob, live for a week with solar water heating
- Live indoors or out as the weather permits, and share the meadow with its wildlife
Have you visited Annie’s Cabin?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Cottage for 4
Caynham Mill, Caynham, Ludlow, Shropshire