West Hatch, Taunton, TA3 5RS,
England, United Kingdom
A lovely inn lost in peaceful hills on the Somerset Levels – a great base for a night or two of affordable luxury. Outside, cockerels crow, cows graze and glorious views from the beer garden drift downhill for a couple of miles – a perfect spot for a pint in summer. Inside, you'll find friendly natives, sofas in front of an open fire and a timber-framed bar, where one airy room rolls into another giving a sense of space and light. There are beamed ceilings, tongue-and-groove panelling, logs piled high in the alcoves. Bedrooms – some big, some huge – are just the ticket. They come with whitewashed walls, cast-iron beds, varnished floors, power showers or double-ended baths. One has a daybed, others have sofas, another has a private courtyard. Delicious food flies from the kitchen, perhaps half a pint of Atlantic prawns, West Country lamb with dauphinoise potatoes, orange and mango cheesecake; in summer you can eat in a courtyard garden. There are local stables if you want to ride and great walking, so bring your boots. Five berths for camper vans wait above the beer garden, too.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
Little gems of local knowledge from Alison Perris:
- The Herepath Trail is a 13 mile circular bridleway with horse riding available at Netherclay Livery Centre and Bickenhall Farm or bring your own horse. With views stretching for miles, it is also ideal for walking and mountain biking.
- Somerset County Cricket Club and Taunton Race Course are less than 5 miles away.
- There are 7 National Trust houses and gardens between 20 and 45 minutes away and Hestercombe Gardens are within easy reach.
- West Somerset Railway runs between Taunton and Minehead.
- The south coast is easily accessible at Lyme Regis, Beer and Sidmouth with the north Devon coast at Minehead, Lynton and Lynmouth suitable for a day trip.
Have you visited Farmers Arms?Tell us your thoughts.
- 4 Doubles
- 1 Twin/double
Well-behaved dogs welcome.
West Hatch, Taunton, TA3 5RS, Somerset