The Pilgrims Restaurant
Lovington, Castle Cary, BA7 7PT,
England, United Kingdom
Medieval pilgrims in search of King Arthur's tomb would stop here for sustenance before heading out across the marshes on their way to Glastonbury abbey. These days, the food, the welcome and the rooms are all so lovely you're more likely to suffer a crisis of faith and stay put. Jools is to blame – his food is far too good to miss, good enough to alter the DNA of these walls – the Pilgrims is not an inn these days, but a restaurant with rooms. All the lovely old stuff survives – stone walls, timber frames, panelled walls and a couple of sofas in front of the fire. Tables in the restaurant are nicely spaced apart with subtle lighting and service that hits the spot. As for the food, expect local ingredients cooked to perfection, perhaps Lyme Bay scallops, rack of lamb, smooth dark chocolate with a hint of stem ginger. Five lovely bedrooms wait in the old skittle alley. Three have cathedral ceilings, all come with exposed stone walls, flat-screen TVs and crisp linen on good beds. As for the bathrooms, expect double-ended baths, separate power showers, fluffy robes. Wells and Glastonbury are close.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Julian & Sally Mitchison:
- Wells, the smallest city in England, is ten miles away. The magnificent cathedral, the Bishop’s palace with the swans in the moat, and the Vicar’s Close which is said to be the oldest planned street in Europe make Wells a major jewel in Somerset's crown.
- National Trust Houses and Gardens We have a wealth of gorgeous national treasures on our doorstep – from the intimate delights of Lytes Cary to the splendours of Stourhead or majestic Montacute
- The Royal Navy’s Yeovilton Air Base and Fleet Air Arm Museum is 5 or 6 miles away as the Sea King flies and the spectacular and newly extended Haynes Motor Museum is a mere 4 or 5 miles
- Bath & West Showground From Flea Markets to County Shows to Motorhome Exhibitions to Post Card Fairs there is always something going on.
- Wincanton Races Have a great day at the races and then – have our a la carte after the horses.
- Glastonbury Apart from the iconic Tor there’s the Abbey, Chalice Well, a whole host of mysterious shops and, occasionally, a music festival.
Have you visited The Pilgrims Restaurant?Tell us your thoughts.
- 4 Doubles
- 1 Twin/double
Special Offer: Go West…er for Easter! - Spring is here and our beloved leader has declared the South West ‘open for business’ - but maybe not everyone heard. So we are offering a 25% discount on our room prices until the end of April.
Lovington, Castle Cary, BA7 7PT, Somerset