Main Street, Walberswick, Southwold, IP18 6UA,
England, United Kingdom
The Anchor is one of those wonderful places that has resisted the urge to be precious. This is a cool little seaside inn where relaxed informality reigns; kids are welcome, staff are lovely, dogs fall asleep in the bar. You're 500m back from the sea with a vast sky hovering above and waves breaking in the distance. Outside, a big terrace fills with happy locals in summer, while a lawned garden stretches off towards the water. Inside, a beautiful simplicity abounds – Cape Cod meets English country local. You'll find books everywhere, wonderful art, then roaring fires, scrubbed pine tables, old leather benches and painted tongue-and-groove. Sophie's local food is the big draw, perhaps cheese soufflé with caramelised onions, roast cod with lentils and chorizo, then banana fritters with toffee sauce. Bedrooms are great value; those in the house are simpler, while the fabulous garden chalet suites have just been superbly refurbished. They're big, airy and open onto terraces that overlook the garden. Mark's menu of bottled beers is exceptional, as is the night sky. Unmissable.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Mark & Sophie Dorber:
- 10% discount to Sawday’s readers.
Have you visited The Anchor?Tell us your thoughts.
- 10 Doubles
Main Street, Walberswick, Southwold, IP18 6UA, Suffolk
The Anchor is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink