The Westleton Crown
The Street, Westleton, Saxmundham, IP17 3AD,
England, United Kingdom
This is one of England's oldest coaching inns, with 800 years of continuous service under its belt. It stands in a village two miles inland from the sea at Dunwich, with Westleton Heath running east towards Minsmere Bird Sanctuary. Inside, stripped floors, smouldering fires, exposed brickwork and ancient beams sweep you back two hundred years. Weave about and find nooks and crannies in which to hide, flames flickering in open fires, a huge map on the wall for walkers. You can eat wherever you want, there's a conservatory breakfast room with fine local photography, then a colourful terraced garden for barbecues in summer. Fish comes straight off the boats at Lowestoft, local butchers provide local meat, perhaps wild rabbit and ham hock, spiced sea bass with curried cockles, coconut panna cotta with roasted pineapple. Bedrooms are scattered about (Will and Kate loved theirs!), some in the main house, others in converted stables. Expect lime whites, comfy beds, crisp linen, flat-screen TVs. Pretty bathrooms come courtesy of Fired Earth, some with claw-foot baths. Aldeburgh and Southwold are close.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
- RSPB Minsmere- nature reserve is a short walk or cycle ride from The Westleton Crown. It is rated as one of the top bird sanctuaries in Europe and is the RSPB’s flagship European nature reserve. Minsmere supports an enormous range of bird species.
- Southwold- the quintessentially English seaside town with its historic pier, is a must to visit. It has beaches, rivers, a busy harbour, excellent shopping in interesting and individual shops and a charm that draws its visitors to return year after year.
- Aldeburgh- with its wide main street and long shingle beach Aldeburgh is an unspoiled seaside town with fascinating architecture that is definitely worth a visit.
- Snape Maltings are a unique collection of granaries situated close to Aldeburgh. The famous annual Adleburgh Music Festival is held in the Snape Maltings Concert Hall, a beautiful conversion of one of the old maltings.
Have you visited The Westleton Crown?Tell us your thoughts.
- 26 Doubles
- 2 Twins
- 2 Family rooms for 4
- 3 Suites for 2
- 1 Single
Special Offer: Dinner, bed and breakfast - Stay for two nights from 145 per night per room, including dinner for 2 on both nights, breakfast and VAT. Available for stays Sunday to Thursday.
Minimum two nights at weekends.
The Street, Westleton, Saxmundham, IP17 3AD, Suffolk
The Westleton Crown is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink