New Lydd Road, Camber, Rye, TN31 7RB,
England, United Kingdom
A boutique motel, a diner with rooms – friendly and stylish with excellent food. It stands across the road from Camber Sands, miles of beach that's popular with sand surfers, beach cricketers and sun worshipers alike. However, the beach will act as an interlude to events at the hotel – the big draw here is some seriously good food. The head chef worked alongside Marco Pierre White and Christophe Novelli, the sous chef spent a year at the French Laundry before working for Tom Aikens. They use the freshest local ingredients and once you've had a nibble you'll find yourself coming back for more, perhaps a posh fish finger sandwich at lunch, then a slap-up dinner of garlic mussels, salt-marsh lamb and a stupendous pear tarte tatin. You eat in a cool little brasserie – think beach chic with stripped wood floors, coastal art and a driftwood terrace for breakfast in the sun. Bedrooms have a similar style: seaside colours, comfy beds, good bathrooms, a sofa if there's room; you get flat-screen TVs and DVD players, too. Cookery courses can be arranged. Don't miss Derek Jarman's cottage at Dungeness.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
- Camber sands - 5 miles of pristine sand sitting behind one of the few protected dune systems in the UK. The beach is huge, clean and magnificent - summer and winter, the dunes the ideal spot for a picnic. 3 minutes walk from the hotel.
- Dungeness - An extraordinary shingle wilderness that sits on the most southerly point of the south east coast. Scattered with ramshackle cottages and boats it feels left behind by the modern world. Famous for it’s population of artists and writers.
- Rye - One of the ancient Cinque Ports, Rye is remarkably untouched with its cobbled streets, lined with Medieval and Georgian architecture and collection of independent traders, boutiques and 20+ antique stores and galleries.
- Great Dixter House and Gardens - Once the family home to the great gardening writer Christopher Lloyd this historic house, gardens and centre of education is now a place of pilgrimage for horticulturists from across the world.
- Battle of Hastings, Abbey and battlefield - The site of probably the most famous and decisive battle in English history, 1066 Battle of Hastings where William the Duke of Normandy defeated King Harold of England marking the end of Anglo-Saxon England.
- Port Lympne Wildlife Park - Set in 600 acres and housing over 650 rare and endangered animals, Port Lympne is famous of its Gorillas and has one of the largest captive collections in the world. The perfect place to spend the day with the whole family.
Have you visited The Gallivant?Tell us your thoughts.
- 20 Doubles
Special Offer: ROMANTIC BREAK - 30% OFF - A few rooms available at £95 on the following dates in April. This overnight offer includes continental breakfast and afternoon tea with home made cakes. 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 28th, 29th and 30th April
Minimum two nights at weekends.
New Lydd Road, Camber, Rye, TN31 7RB, Sussex